Oakland, CA – Beginning the week of April 19, the Oakland Public Library (OPL) will open 16 locations for indoor OPL Express service. Most locations, including the African American Museum and Library (AAMLO) and the Eastmont Branch, will offer select in-person services during limited business hours.
The Asian Branch Library and the Oakland Tool Lending Library will continue to offer Sidewalk Service due to ongoing facility improvements.
With OPL Express, library users will be able to access modified library services including limited browsing, checkout of materials, and computer use. Gathering and play spaces will remain closed. Patrons can expect welcoming staff available to help them navigate OPL Express services and safety protocols. During visiting hours, the following in-person services will be available:
- Library card registration and renewal
- Browsing the collection
- Computer use (excluding Lakeview, Montclair and Piedmont Ave.)
- Print, scan and faxing services (at available locations)
- Laptop and Wi-Fi hotspot checkout (at available locations)
- Wi-Fi access and mobile device charging
All patrons will be required to follow the Library’s health and safety protocols based upon the Alameda County’s COVID-19 Reopening Guidelines:
- Wear a face mask covering nose and mouth, for all patrons over the age of two (2) who wish to come inside. Face masks will be provided for patrons who do not carry their own. Patrons must wear their mask for their entire visit.
- Maintain a physical distance of 6-feet apart from others not in their household.
- Self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms. Signage and a hands-free temperature scanner are provided at the entrance, and patrons may not enter if they have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Wash or sanitize hands frequently. Hand sanitizing stations are provided throughout the facilities.
- Children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by a caregiver. At this time, there is no youth programming, and gathering and play spaces are closed.
- Eating and drinking will not be permitted during OPL Express.
- The OPL Guidelines for Behavior remain in effect.
- The Oakland History Center (OHC) and AAMLO will be available by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, visit this website to select an appointment option: https://oplvirtualbranch.setmore.com/. You can also call or email for an appointment.
- Staff will remind patrons as needed to adhere to County health orders throughout their visit.
- OPL is also providing the following to protect the safety of patrons and staff
- Limiting occupancy inside each location
- Providing self-checkout stations at all locations
- Piloting a new mobile checkout service
- Quarantining items for at least 24 hours before returning to circulation
- Disinfecting high-touch surfaces regularly
The following services will be unavailable
- Sidewalk Service will end on Sunday, April 18 at most locations (excluding Asian Branch and Tool Lending Library)
- In-person events and storytimes
- Community room use and bookings for external community groups
- Seating will not be available, except for computer use. Gathering and play spaces will remain closed.
- The second floor of the Main Library will remain closed, including the Teen Zone, Magazines and Newspaper Room, and the Oakland History Center.
The following remain available
- Phone help available through our call center: 510-238-3134
- Online live chat during normal business hours by visiting www.oaklandlibrary.org
- 24/7 access to digital offerings including e-books, audiobooks and streaming movies
- Virtual programs including storytimes, book clubs and author talks
OPL looks forward to the gradual return to full service as Alameda County improves on the State of California’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy. Because the threat of COVID-19 has not passed, OPL asks our patrons and community to do its part so we can be together once again.