In accordance with the Alameda County Health Officer's order for all residents to shelter in place to slow the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Planning & Building and Housing & Community Development Departments are taking measures to provide essential governmental functions consistent with the County's order. Below is an outline of the services offered by both departments available for our public.
Conditions and information are changing rapidly. Please check back regularly for City updates relating to COVID-19.
Planning & Building Updates
“We have a dedicated team who will continue to serve the needs of Oakland during this intense time,” said Planning & Building Director William Gilchrist. He continued, “This situation is unprecedented in its scope and dynamism, and we are determined to respond accordingly.”
Priority services remain operational as outlined in the service matrix on the City’s Planning & Building web page. Customers can still submit certain types of applications online, provide plans, and ask questions using the City’s online services and resources. However, please note that the Planning and Building counters are now closed to the public, as is City Hall and other buildings in Frank H. Ogawa Plaza.
The department will prioritize the following:
- Housing projects, particularly affordable housing projects and mixed-use projects that include housing
- Emergency repairs
- Continuing review of existing projects already submitted to the city
- Other inspections as resources and time allow
- Planning & Building web page: https://www.oaklandca.gov/news/2020/planning-building-department-response-to-shelter-in-place
- Planning & Building Services & Resources: https://www.oaklandca.gov/services/related-to/departments/planning-and-building
- Updates on COVID-19 Outbreak: https://www.oaklandca.gov/resources/updates-on-covid-19-outbreak
Housing & Community Development Updates
“This is an unprecedented event that has forced us to change how we conduct business,” said Shola Olatoye, Housing & Community Development Director. “My staff and I are committed to continuing to diligently serve the residents of Oakland during this challenging time with compassion and care.”
Rent Adjustment Program Related Services
Public Counter Service Alternatives:
- Housing Counselors are available by phone at (510) 238-3271, Monday – Friday, 9am – 4:30pm. Answers to many questions can be found at www.oaklandca.gov/RAP
- Rent Adjustment Board Regular Meeting– Canceled
- Rent Adjustment Panel Meeting – Canceled
All appeals will be continued. A new notice of hearing date will be mailed to all parties.
Hearings & Mediation:
- Rent Adjustment Hearings & Mediations scheduled through April 10th are postponed until further notice. A new notice of hearing date will be mailed to all parties.
- New petitions can be submitted online at www.oaklandca.gov/RAP. Petition related documents can also be submitted by mail to: Rent Adjustment Program, 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Suite 5313, Oakland, Ca 94612.
- Eviction notices can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Ellis Act related forms should be mailed to: Rent Adjustment Program, 250 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Suite 5313, Oakland, Ca 94612.
- Rent Adjustment Housing Counselor – (510) 238-3271 or www.oaklandca.gov/RAP
Housing Resource Center Related Services
- General Housing Questions – (510) 238-6182
- Family Front Door – (510) 808-7421
- Housing emergencies – 211