Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work with a range of different City departments to support CDL project goals.
- Support & document community workshops and interviews with Oakland residents and staff with CDL oversight.
- Observe and partake in a number of public workshops facilitated by CDL.
- Design exciting and engaging ways to communicate what we learn with Oakland stakeholders through various media and medium.
- Undertake basic project coordination to identify, consider, and resolve issues.
- Create design prototypes or content based on the community and departmental workshops both before and after.
- Develop policy change in conjunction with community and departmental staff.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Trained in design thinking
- Able to support CDL development of content and visuals to supplement ongoing workshops and online marketing collaterals either as a graphic designer or content writer.
- A strong alignment with CDL’s mission and passionate about civic tech.
- A person with high level of EQ and maturity: demonstrates empathy, good listeningskills, and genuinely cares about people.
- Data analysis/ analytical skills preferred.
- Design/ graphic skills preferred.
- Interest in or experience with public policy preferred.
- Autonomous self-starter who also works well in teams in a collaborative setting.
- Resourceful and adaptable to changing circumstances and environments.
How to Apply
Please email the following in one PDF to email@example.com by September 25
(late applications will be considered for the next quarter, in January of 2020):
1. In two paragraphs (~200 words) communicate why you are interested in working at CDL and your interest in racial justice.
2. Include a resume which includes professional and academic achievements.
3. Send a mini portfolio by way of a 1-2 page of past or current projects in any media that
relate, with a short description (1 sentence) of each.
4. List your relevant skills and experiences in critical thinking, craft, design, writing,
outreach experience, software, policy etc.
5. Identify your availability Monday through Friday between 9am - 5pm.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Oakland Fund is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.