Post Date: Jan 6, 2015
Oakland’s 50th Mayor Libby Schaaf will cap her weeklong inaugural festivities with a free public event celebrating the diversity, creativity and maker spirit of Oakland. The festive celebration will take place this Sunday, January 11, from 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm at American Steel Studios in West Oakland. Mayor Schaaf will make remarks at 5:15 pm as part of a dynamic program emceed by Oakland’s own Glynn Washington, host and Executive Producer of NPR’s Snap Judgment.
Festival highlights include:
- Oakland Dance Stage featuring Dimensions Dance Theater, Diamano Coura West African Dance
Company, DesHny Arts, Hot Steps, aerialists from West Oakland’s KineHc Arts Center and a special performance by world-renowned vertical dance pioneers BANDALOOP.
- Oakland Music Stage with The Kev Choice Ensemble, Bay Area Blues Society and surprise guests.
- Made-in-Oakland industrial sculpture and art car exhibits.
- Curated art gallery featuring works from Tricia Rissmann and Lisa Pfeiffer of Norton Studios and others.
- Local performance artists, craftspeople, filmmakers and fashion designers.
- “Innovation City” tech corner hosted by 2.Oakland and the City of Oakland.
- Indie business showcase hosted by Oakland Grown.
- Interactive kids’ zone.
- Community conversations hosted by West Oakland's Attitudinal Healing Center.
- Samplings of locally made specialty foods, including organic chocolates from Oakland-based OCHO Candy.
- Wide range of eats from popular local food vendors (available for purchase).
- Wine from Oakland-based Two Mile Wines, plus locally-made beer from Linden Street Brewery and New Normal Brewing (available for purchase).
- The “Made in Oakland” Inaugural Festival is produced by Samee Roberts Presents in association with American Steel Studios, Suite Treatments, Inc. and Shasta Production Services in partnership with Oakland Makers, Oakland Grown, Attitudinal Healing Center, 2.Oakland, Two Mile Wines, Linden Street Brewery, New Normal Brewing, Bandaloop, KineHc Arts Center and
the City of Oakland.
American Steel Studios - located at 1960 Mandela Parkway just south of West Grand - was founded in 2009 by Oakland artist Karen Cusolito to provide affordable work space for artists and innovators whose works are shown all over the world. Admission to the “Made in Oakland” Inaugural Festival and parking are free. For more information, visit libbyformayor.com.