Dry, windy conditions in East Bay Hills have delayed PG&E’s start of restoration efforts
Oakland, CA – Power remains shutdown for approximately 48,000 Oakland residents and businesses, and PG&E has not yet issued an “all-clear” for Alameda County. PG&E will begin safety inspections, repairs, and power restoration in specific areas once a weather “all clear” is issued. PG&E has advised that the process to re-energize the lines and restore power could still take up to five days in some areas.
If you are without power, please continue to make preparations to be without electricity for five days. Turn off all your appliances and lights so they are not damaged when power is restored. EBMUD requests residents to conserve water whenever possible.
Fire Danger Remains Extremely High
The National Weather Service Red Flag Warning is scheduled to be in effect until 5 pm today. The Oakland Fire Department remains on high alert given extremely hazardous fire conditions created by the ongoing dry, windy conditions. Oaklanders are reminded to exercise extreme caution.
Keep Yourself and Your Neighbors Safe
Even a small spark can lead to a catastrophic wildfire. Remember:
- Do not burn candles or use open flames.
- Barbequing is prohibited in parks during Red Flag conditions.
- If you have a driveway, use it. Keep narrow roads clear for emergency vehicles and evacuations.
Keeping Food Safe During an Emergency
Knowing how to determine if food is safe and how to keep food safe will help minimize the potential loss of food and reduce the risk of foodborne illness.
The USDA recommends always keeping meat, poultry, fish, and eggs refrigerated at or below 40 °F and frozen food at or below 0 °F. This may be difficult when the power is out. So, keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. The refrigerator will keep food safely cold for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. Obtain block ice to keep your refrigerator as cold as possible if the power is going to be out for a prolonged period of time.
Key Phone Numbers for Assistance
- Only call 911 for life-threatening situations requiring immediate attention
- Call 311 or (510) 615-5566 for City maintenance issues such as a fallen tree or blocked street
- Call 211 for critical human services information regarding emergency shelters, disaster relief services, assistance with temporary housing, and other basic social needs.
Please check www.oaklandca.gov/firesafety for ongoing updates.